The seriously rich flavor of this dish comes from browning the roast first and deglazing the pan. (The crispy brown goodies at the bottom of the pan create a scrumptious roast or gravy). Serve with a warm, crispy bread, so every drop of sauce on the plate has a ride to the tastebuds.
TIP! To brown roast without sticking to pan, rinse meat then pat dry with paper towels. Put oil in pan and begin to warm. Place roast in pan and jiggle it around while it begins to sear. Once it’s seared, it will not stick. Let it heat do desired brownness.
3 pound pot roast (chuck roast)
2 Tbs olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1 10 1/0 oz. can Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 c carrots peeled and cut to 2-3 inch lengths
1 pound Yukon Gold or Red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into large chunks
2 c chopped fresh mushrooms
½ large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
2 sprigs rosemary
3 small sprigs thyme
3 sage leaves
(Dried herbs can be substituted for fresh).
- Salt and pepper all sides of roast.
- In heavy pan, brown all sides of roast in olive oil.
- Line bottom of crock pot with carrots and potatoes, and place roast on top.
- Top roast with onion, mushrooms, garlic and fresh herbs.
- Deglaze browning pan with ½ cup water, scraping up the dark browned bits. Stir in Cream Of Mushroom soup.
- Pour soup mixture over the roast.
- Cover crock pot and cook on low for about 8 hours. Beef should be fall-apart tender and delicious.